I lost my mother when I was only 18 years old. So, when I read books like “The Passionate Olive” by Carol Firenze where she talks about all the many ways her Italian family used olive oil to heal everyday illnesses, I become reminiscent of the home remedies my own mother taught me.
Two of my mother’s remedies, in particular, stand out to me…
The first, a cure for stomach aches, has nothing to do with olive oil but works like a charm. My mother combined boiled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, and sugar (today I substitute with honey) and served it as tea whenever I had a stomachache. Worked like a miracle both then AND now!
The second, a treatment for earaches, was very simple and includes only one ingredient: olive oil. To relieve an earache, all you have to do is add warm olive oil to your ear and let the oil drain out. Then, top it off with a piece of cotton.
I love the idea of passing on home remedies from one generation to the next and this book does so in such great detail that I can’t help but recommend it!
There are SO many uses for olive oil! The key to getting the MOST out of your olive oil either nutritionally or topically is to make sure that you are using high quality, extra virgin olive oil made from green olives (that’s where all the medicinal benefits are found). That’s why I’m so picky about the olive oils I choose for Ruccello Olive Oils! I want you to know that when you order one of our olive oils, you are getting the absolute BEST in quality.
If you’d like to try out a home remedy from the book with one of our olive oils, here are just a few to start with:
- Help your digestive track
- As a laxative, take 1 teaspoon of olive oil mixed with the juice of a medium sized lemon on an empty stomach
- To calm your stomach and preventative digestive issues – take 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil every morning on an empty stomach (I talk about this on my blog Morning Detox)
- Relieve colds, sore throats, and coughs
- In a pan mix 3 – 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup of honey
- ½ cup extra virgin olive Oil
- Warm for 5 minutes over low heat on the stove
- Take 1 tablespoon every 2 hours.
- Garlic Oil Ear Remedy (similar to my family’s remedy)
- Crush 2 garlic cloves into some extra virgin olive oil
- Let sit for several hours at room temperature and then strain
- Keep the oil in the refrigerator and warm up a little as needed
- Put a few drops in the ear canal
- Plug the ear with a piece of cotton
- This mixture will last 1 week in the refrigerator.
(side note – do not do this if you have a ruptured eardrum and always have your children checked first before doing this).
- Sunburn and Cuts treatment
- Mix extra virgin olive oil with an equal amount of water
- Beat until it becomes an emulsion similar to mayonnaise
- Apply to the affected area
- Make a warm compress of Olive Oil and Chamomile tea and apply to the blistered area.
- Muscle cramping
- Mix equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil and clove oil and rub on the muscle that has been previously warmed by either a warm washcloth or heating pad.
- Repel insects
- Rub extra virgin olive oil on your skin and you will be less likely to be bitten by mosquitos! I’m definitely going to try this one!
I hope you find these tips useful (or at least entertaining)!
If you have any tips about how you use olive oil, I’d love to hear them!
Ciao for now,
P.S. While ALL of our Ruccello Olive Oils are great for every recipe/remedy that calls
for olive oil, I have found that both the Coratina and Picual Olive Oils are fantastic for
the skin! Check them out today in the Ruccello Olive Oil Market Place!